Midweek Update: The Welfare of the City
Dear Fourth Church Family,
I hope you enjoy today’s video, a recording of my Zoom conversation with Larry Huff, Fourth Church member and President and CEO of Samaritan Inns. Samaritan Inns is a mercy ministry helping our neighbors who face life’s toughest challenges, including homelessness and addiction. A portion of the items collected at this week’s Drive-Through Food Drive will be donated to Samaritan Inns.
Reminders for this week (see further info below):
- We are in need of about ten volunteers to continue to make Sunday morning, in-person worship possible. Contact Corey Gray firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more.
- August 5 & 8: Drive-Through Food Drive
- August 5: 5:30 p.m., Congregational Prayer
- August 9: Communion at all three in-person services
Grace and Peace,
Worship Services, Sunday, August 9
We extend a warm invitation to everyone in the community to join us for on-campus worship services! Safety continues to be our top priority in this first phase of regathering. Please note that because of physical distancing, advance reservations are required for all three services.
Outdoor Services | 8:00 & 9:30 a.m.
Lower (east) Parking Lot
Indoor Service | 11:00 a.m. in the Sanctuary
Face coverings required
Also available via livestream
Old Testament: Psalm 44:17-26 | New Testament: Romans 8:35-39
11:00 | At tables once you enter the building
- If you need to cancel your reservation, please email Rebecca Sparks-Korossy, email@example.com.
- For now there is no childcare or on-site Sunday school, but online classes and activities are available for children, youth, and adults. All ages are welcome in Sunday worship services.
Drive-Through Food Drive
Wednesday, August 5, 3:00-5:00 p.m.
Saturday, August 8, 1:00-4:00 p.m.
The neighborhood and church family are invited to contribute to a food drive conducted by Fourth Presbyterian Church youth in partnership with our Missions Local Outreach. Donated food and supplies are distributed to our ministry partners including Samaritan Inns’ Clark Inn, Rockville Women’s Center, YoungLives, and neighbors in the DMV.
- Mark your contributions FOOD DRIVE and place them in the trunk of your vehicle
- Please wear a mask.
- Drive to the covered entrance on the Ridgefield Road side of the church.
Note the church building is closed and the food drive is outside.
- Use the outer lane and remain in your car for safe distancing.
- You will see tables set up for sorting donations.
- Release the trunk, and youth staff or volunteers wearing masks and gloves will unload your contribution.
- Please bring any quantity of the following (NO glass):
- canned soups, especially meat stews
- boxed milk (non-refrigerated)
- baby formula
- men’s full-sized toiletries
- pasta and rice
- canned spaghetti sauce
- canned meat and/or fish
- peanut butter and jelly
- canned or dried beans
- paper goods – toilet paper, tissues, paper towels
- cooking oil
- diapers (any size) and wipes
- baby food
- grocery gift cards in any amount with receipt attached
Congregational Prayer Online, Wednesdays, 5:30-6:00 p.m.
Join our churchwide online prayer time by video or phone. See the information sent to the Fourth community this morning via email. If it’s your first time joining us, you can get familiar with Zoom videoconferencing ahead of time here.
Questions for church staff? Call: 301-320-3600, x205, or email Sallie Holdrich, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact: Marie LeDuc, email@example.com.
Children’s Sunday School | Take advantage of your time at home to enjoy this week’s Fourth Family Huddle reading. We encourage you to read, sing, and pray together with your families this week as we explore the Book of Acts.
Youth Ministry | Both middle and high school will have grade-specific activities in early August. For locations and event information, please contact the email above. Our virtual Sunday School continues to meet.
Contact: Jean Bronson, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Women’s Fall Bible Studies September 7-November 6 | Days and times will be announced next week for our Zoom Bible study on Hosea: A 12-Week Study (Knowing the Bible), by Lydia Brownback. Order your own study guide, available at this writing from Westminster Bookstore, Amazon.com, and Christianbook.com. If you use Amazon, consider starting at smile.amazon.com and designating Fourth Presbyterian Church (Bethesda) as the charity, and the church will receive a portion of the purchase. In the winter and spring, we will study Galatians using Loving Jesus More, by Philip Ryken.
Contact: Tommy Myrick, email@example.com
We are making plans for community groups to resume in September with online fellowship and sermon discussion via Zoom. This fall we would like to add several new groups to help accommodate increased interest. Please get in touch if you would like information about leading a new community group.
Adult Sunday School
Contact: Kathy Lofberg, firstname.lastname@example.org
Fall Pastor’s Classes | Online, September 6–December 6. For more information and to download the study questions, got the Adult Sunday School webpage.
- The 9:30 class will study Galatians. Register here.
- The 11:00 class will study Joshua. Register here.
From the Finance Office
Contact: Ruth Williams, email@example.com
Giving envelopes are mailed every three months to those who request them. We are happy to continue to send them, but if you no longer need or want giving envelopes, please email by Monday, August 17, to be removed from the fourth quarter envelope mailing list.
Did you know?
- If you give by check, your check has all we need to record your gift for tax purposes.
- An envelope with your name and address is needed for tax credit only when you are giving cash.
- Online giving on Fourth’s website is easy and secure. Click GIVE at the top right of any page on the website.